Pages

Monday, November 06, 2006

Is That Pepe le Pew or You?

from Sunday, May 15, 2005

As long as I'm telling cat stories, instead of addressing the current stuff, I'll tell about a kitten that lived near us.

My husband built a third garage onto the house, for the tractor and bush-hog, but hadn't put a door on it yet. We investigated a loud ruckus in there one night and could see two skunks, making baby skunks, under the tractor. Needless to say it left a pungent odor in there.

The people who owned the acreage next to us, built a house. They got a couple of kittens and a pug dog. The pug had an odd habit of walking around with a rock in it's mouth. We found the pug, dead, in the field behind our house. I think he choked on his rock or one of my husband's unretrieved golf balls. But this story is really about the little female kitten and our big, handsome, black & white, neutered, curmudgeon of a male cat.

The kittens came to our house, exploring. If they had been adults, our cat would have started a fight. Instead he tried to avoid them. A few days later when I was outside and I saw the little female come stumbling out of the tractor shed like she was drunk. She began to roll around on the ground in a post-sex way. Then she spots our cat and thinks she's in love. She follows him around and tries her best to get him to notice her. I was surprised that he tolerated her as nicely as he did.

As soon as the skunk smell left her her mind, she would head for home like someone who has sobered up and realized the guy in the bar was really a dud.
This happened over and over. She was so funny after she visited the tractor shed and then tried to put her best moves on our cat. She was such a cutie. After the neutering, I had never seen our cat let another feline get that close to him. He'd give me these looks like he was thinking, "What's up with the drunk chick? Make her go away."

No comments:

Post a Comment