Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Beach of Glass Balls

When I woke up this morning, it was still dark, and my mind was still half dreaming.

I was 5 and I was in Japan, standing on a small deserted beach.
The sky was dark and thick all the way down to the water, but it was not night. The beach was remote, private and muffled. Safe.
I felt that if you set off in a boat, there would be no land mass waiting for you as you headed into the North.
The coast line curved around either side of me. I wanted to stay there.
As I looked around the sand I saw many colored balls of glass, spread around like they had washed ashore. They were different sizes and each had a loop on it. At that age I didn't know what they were, but they made this beach a magical place that I return to in my dreams.

2 comments:

  1. you've been really quiet for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the evocative jewels you post from the past. I miss your current life too, but understand that you need a rest! My son has had a huge meltdown thanks to meth and govt/ufo conspiracy theories. After a few weeks in the "nuthouse" (his words), and now placement in a halfway house, he is doing much better. He still has about a month inpatient soon, but just to have him coherent is a relief. When he woke up at Vanderbilt, he thought he was at Langley and the CIA had abducted him because of what he knew. What someone who is one step away from dissolving needed was meth. Just puts the icing on the cake. Hope your baby is doing better.

    ReplyDelete