Pages

Friday, April 14, 2006

Long Day's Journey Into The Carpal Tunnel

I've got a raging case of carpal tunnel; my hands are somewhere between tingling numbness and pain. Spring is upon us and I have many things to do to get my new parking lot finished. I am too cheap to pay someone to do it for me, and besides my truck holds about a ton of crusher run. So, I only have about 30 more tons to shovel out of the back of the truck. And many more plants to move before I sleep. OK, I've got to stop that!

Savant and I aren't speaking, sort of. The drama has been thick for a couple of weeks. One late night visit to the E.R. He had leaned back in a chair and it flipped him onto his neck and head. He called 911, but, didn't have a ride back to the dorm when he was OK'd to leave. I drove all the way to the town he is in to give him a ride back to his dorm in the wee hours of the morning, because I was too sleepy, worried, stupid, to tell him to call a cab.

Becoming intoxicated is sort of a tradition with some college kids, and he's one of them. But when he does it, all sorts of complications come along for the ride because, while he has a new found love of Canadian whiskey, he hasn't given up good old dextromethorphan hydro-bromide (used in Dexa-Trim and cough medication). Again this week, another call to me to take him to the hospital. He thinks the three bottles of OTC cough medicine, he drank a few hours before, might be causing a brain bleed, and he's worried. Well duh! Stupid is as stupid does, Forrest! I'm pretty sure his brain is not bleeding, but he is really upset. Again it is a middle of the night call. I called his sister, who lives in the same town, but sometimes works late, and she and her boyfriend drove over to do the honors. They talked with him for a while and he decided that he would not go to the hospital.

What is the attraction to frying your brain? Is that like asking why anyone would smoke? You'd think schizophrenia would be enough, but I think alcohol takes the edge off, that the meds aren't. He started drinking cough medicine before he became schizo'. I'd love to know if there is a connection. Is anyone out there studying this?

Anyway, when I spoke to him the next day, I wasn't exactly supportive and he wasn't exactly appreciative, so I turned off my phone. That night he called a different phone and apologized. Which was nice, but I was badly in need of a time out. So the phone has been silent. Perhaps his Dad gave him the warning that I had crawled into the rabbit hole, and needed peace for a while.

Damn hands are numb-pain again!

No comments:

Post a Comment