Pages

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Drunkard's Dream Chauffeur Service

The drunkard's dream chauffeur service is on vacation....kind of. It is doing me a world of good to have some time to think happy thoughts! It occurred to me that I am not only dealing with Savant's mental illness, I've lost my life. He doesn't drive since he got sick, which has left me acting as his chauffeur. I can say no, but then he asks me repeatedly all day, like an impatient little child, which drives me nuts.

I want my life back. I can't really remember what it was, but I want a new, less co-dependent one. I'm not kicking myself, for giving up my architecture career, quite so often these days. Savant has been back at school for half a semester, taking one course. It is a lot of money, but it is his money, and it is worth it to give me some breathing room. Hopefully he is learning valuable life skills and becoming more independent.

But when he wants me to drive to the town the college is in because he is out of cigarettes, or some such nonsense, I get stressed and angry but I can't show it, so my nervous ticks kick in and beat me up. Stress makes Tourettes amp up to a painful ferocity. It's the answered prayer of everyone who ever wanted to kick my ass.

I still do have to drive him to his doctor's appointments, which involves a three city marathon, each way, that takes hours, but the doctors he had in M'boro sucked. It was obvious they were only interested in playing: tag the patient and collect the money. Health care got skipped in the process.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:02 AM

    That boy would be getting his cigs in a couple of cartons at a time...the drive to m'boro sucks...

    ReplyDelete