Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Dreaming of Horses

When I was four I began to dream of horses. My horse was parked next to our little house in the spot where my father would park the car if he was home. Saddled and bridled, ready to ride but I couldn't make my dream self sit on the saddle. I would hold the reigns and hover above the horse the way Superman would fly through the sky. Then we moved to Japan and I don't remember much about my dreams for a while. I've loved horses my whole life. I wished for a simple life with enough land to own a horse. I never cared about status or wealth, and still haven't achieved either. I also never owned a horse.

When I was in the second grade we moved to Austin, Texas where I learned to ride. God smiled on me and gave me a best friend who had horses at her house. My sister and I could ride together at any one of several stables that rented horses by the hour. They would let us ride unsupervised which we loved. No trail ride with a guide bull shit for us.

When we were little my grandparents put $100 in bank accounts for each of us. We would not get it until we were older, but it would be ours and we could get whatever we wanted. As far as I know, mine was the only one that came with a stipulation: anything but a horse. Why? I still don't understand it. When I was twenty and finally given the cash, I had to spend it on groceries.

No comments:

Post a Comment